The Fisher Building
343 S. Dearborn St.
Year Built: 1896
North Addition, 1907
Architect: Burnham & Co.; Peter Weber, addition
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
June 7, 1978
A 20-story, 275 foot tall neo-Gothic landmark building in the Loop area of Chicago. Commissioned by paper magnate Lucius Fisher, the original building was completed in 1896 by D.H. Burnham & Company with an addition latter added in 1907.
Currently owned and managed by Village Green Management Company, the building houses apartments on floors 3-20 and commercial stores on the 1st and 2nd floors. At the time of its completion, the building was one of two buildings in Chicago that was 18 stories tall, the other being the Masonic Building. To this day, the Fisher Building is the oldest 18 story building in Chicago that has not been demolished. The Masonic Temple, while taller and older, was demolished in 1939. x
Though a project of D.H. Burnham & Company, the design of the original structure was Charles Atwood. In 1906, an addition on the northern side of the building raised it from 18 to 20 stories. A former employee of the Burnham firm, Peter J. Weber, designed and oversaw the building's addition which was completed in 1907.